Saturday, September 10, 2011

Wk 9 Photo Challenge: Food



This week’s photo challenge was probably one of my favorites all quarter. For my internship class last quarter I worked as a food and beverage photographer helping me to gain more experience and insight on how to make food look good in a photograph. I like shooting food because of its simplicity. It’s simply there for the taking. Food is just a still life object that you can manipulate and rearrange with ease, much more easier than working with people or what ever subject you may be photographing. I wanted to photograph a food dish that I like personally. Shooting warm food could be a little ore difficult, which is why I choose to shoot cold food. Cold food wont have any real dramatic effects to its over all appearance for a long time, long after it takes time to shoot. When I shoot food I try to focus on two things, detail, and color. I think detail and bright vibrant colors are the way to attract the viewer, convincing them that the meal tastes just as good as it looks. My next step was to decide exactly what it was I wanted to be shooting. Since the challenge was all up to me, I decided to pick a cold food dish that had a wide range of color. Thinking this way I came to the conclusion to shoot salad. I thought of how you walk into a salad bar and all you see is an endless row of bright vibrant colored food. I added other things to the salad such as chopped ham and corn to add a little extra to top it all off. I placed the dish on a kitchen counter using only window light to get a smooth ambient glow through out the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment